- PhD in Critical Social Psychology with Certificate in Women’s Studies
2017, The Graduate Center, CUNY
- MPhil in Psychology
2014, The Graduate Center, CUNY
- MA in Psychology
2013, The Graduate Center, CUNY
- MS for Teachers in Adolescent Education and Biology
2008, Pace University
- BS in Biopsychology and Cognitive Sciences
2006, The University of Michigan
AWARDS, GRANTS, AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Graduate Assistant Fellowship, Hunter College, CUNY, 2016-2017
- Honorable Mention for Best Poster, APAGS, Science Student Council Late Breaking Poster Session, APA Convention, 2015
- Janet Hyde Graduate Student Research Grant Honorable Mention, APA Division 35, 2015
- Doctoral Student Research Grant, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2015-2016
- Writing Across the Curriculum Fellowship, York College, CUNY, 2015-2016
- Graduate Assistant Fellowship, Hunter College, CUNY, 2014-2015
- Graduate Student Diversity Travel Award, SPSSI, 2014
- Room Scholarship, Association for Women in Psychology, 2014
- Best Paper Award, Female masturbation: Understanding experiences of sexual empowerment, AWP/SPW Annual Student Prize for Psychological Research on Women and Gender, 2013
- Science Fellowship, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2009-2014 (expected)
- Healthy Relationships Award, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2012
- President’s Travel Grant, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2011
- AmeriCorps Education Award, 2006 & 2007
- Michigan Merit Award, 2002
- Nicols-Grinenko, A., Verni, R. B., Pipitone, J. M., Bowman, C. P., & Quinones-Jenab, V. (2017). Building a culture of undergraduate research: A case study. SPUR: Scholarship and Practice of Undergraduate Research, 1(2), 43-51. doi: 19.18833/spur/1/2/13
- Bowman, C. P. (2017). Masturbation. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Psychology and Gender. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Ragonese, M., Bowman, C. P., & Tolman, D. L. (2016). Beyond the classroom: Sexualization, media, and youth-led sex ed. In L. Allen & M.L. Rasmussen (Eds.), Handbook of Sexuality Education. London: Palgrave.
- Tolman, D.L., Davis, B., Bowman, C.P. (2016). “That’s just how it is”: A gendered analysis of masculinity and femininity ideologies in adolescent girls’ and boys’ heterosexual relationships. Journal of Adolescent Research, 31(1), 3-31. doi: 10.1177/0743558415587325
- Tolman, D.L., Bowman, C.P., & Chmielewski, J.F. (2015). Anchoring sexualization: Contextualizing and explicating the contribution of psychological research on the sexualization of girls in the US. In E. Renold, J. Ringrose, & D. Egan (Eds.), Children, Sexuality, and Sexualization. Palgrave.
- Bowman, C.P. (2014). Women’s Masturbation: Experiences of sexual empowerment in a primarily sex-positive sample. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 38(3), 363-378.
*Nominated for and published as a Continuing Education credit article
- Tolman, D.L., Bowman, C.P., Fahs, B. (2014). Sexuality and Embodiment. In D.L. Tolman & L. Diamond (Eds.), American Psychological Association Handbook of Sexuality. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Tolman, D.L., Brown, L.M., Bowman, C.P. (2013). “Hey media, back off and get off my body!”: SPARK is taking sexy back. In K. Harper, Y. Katsulis, V. Lopez, G.S. Gillis (Eds.), Girls’ Sexualities and the Media. New York: Peter Lang.
- Chmielewski, J. F., Tolman, D. L., & Bowman, C. P. (2018). Exploring embodiment and subjectivity as pathways to heterosexual women’s sexual agency [Symposium presentation]. The National Association for Women in Psychology Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Bowman, C.P. (March, 2016). The shame game: Do girls really feel ashamed during early masturbation experiences? [Symposium presentation]. The National Association for Women in Psychology Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Bowman, C.P. (August, 2015). Comparing attitudes toward masturbation among sexual minority and heterosexual women. [Poster]. The American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Bowman, C.P. (August, 2014). Spreading the word: Research blogging for the general public. [Symposium presentation]. The American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Washington, DC.
- Bowman, C.P. (June, 2014). Research blogging as social action: How to spread the word. [Oral presentation]. The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI) 10th Biennial Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Bowman, C.P. (March, 2014). Women’s masturbation: Experiences of sexual empowerment in a primarily sex-positive sample [Oral presentation: Invited]. The National Association for Women in Psychology Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Bowman, C.P. (October, 2013). Feminist labeling exercise. [Activity Blitz]. The CUNY Graduate Center All-Psychology Teaching of Psychology Conference. New York, New York.
- Bowman, C.P., Davis, B.R., Tolman, D.L. (September, 2013). Masculinity and femininity ideologies in adolescent girls’ and boys’ heterosexual relationships. [Poster]. The Symposium on Sexuality and Public Health of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality. New York, New York.
- Bowman, C.P. (April, 2012). Women’s motivations for and emotional responses to masturbation. [Datablitz]. The CUNY Graduate Center All-Psychology Student Research Day. New York, New York.
- Bowman, C.P. (April, 2012). Female masturbation: Understanding feelings of empowerment. [Poster]. The CUNY Graduate Center All-Psychology Student Research Day. New York, New York.
- Bowman, C.P. (November, 2011). A phenomenology of female masturbation: Understanding feelings of empowerment. [Oral presentation]. The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Annual Meeting, Houston, Texas.
- Office of Research, Evaluation and Program Support, CUNY, 2018-P
- SexGenLab: Researching Sexuality and Gender, CUNY, 2015-2017
PI: Deborah L. Tolman, Ed.D.
- SexGenLab: Researching Sexuality and Gender, CUNY, 2009-2015
PI: Deborah L. Tolman, Ed.D.
- Women’s Solitary Masturbation Experiences: Understanding Meanings, Motivations, Intersections, and Connections to Social Power, 2010-P
- Office of the Provost & Office of Undergraduate Research at Hunter College, CUNY, 2013-2015
PI: Annemarie Nicols-Grinenko, Ph.D.
- Sexuality Education in Red Hook, Brooklyn: A PAR Project, 2011
PIs: Maria Elena Torre, PhD, & Adolescents from the Red Hook Initiative
- Vocabulary Instruction and Regents Mastery, 2008
Principal Investigator, Master’s Thesis (Pace University & NYC Public Schools)
- Social Behavior of Hormonally Altered Sheep, 2005-2006
Research Assistant (University of Michigan)
PI: Theresa Lee, PhD
- Teaching Assistant (TA) for Statistics for Psychology Doctoral Students (Fall, 2013 – Spring, 2014)
The Graduate Center
Professor: Brett Stoudt, PhD
- Adjunct Lecturer for two sections of Psychology of Women (Fall, 2012)
- Teaching Assistant (TA) for Experimental Psychology (Spring, 2012)
Professor: Brian Davis, MA
- Teaching Assistant (TA) for Social Psychology (Spring, 2011)
Professor: Jason Young, PhD
- High School Living Environment (Biology) Teacher (2006-2008)
New York City Public Schools, Teach for America
EDITORIAL, REVIEW & CONSULTING EXPERIENCE
- Blog Editor, SPARK Research Blog (2012-2016)
- UN Report Editor, Silberman School of Social Work, Hunter College (2013-2014)
- Psychology of Women Quarterly, Student Advisory Board Member, 2011-P
- Sex Roles
- Feminism & Psychology
- Psychology & Sexuality
- Sex Education
- Sexuality Research and Social Policy
- Statistical Consultant, College Access: Research & Action (CARA) (2013-2014)
UNIVERSITY & DEPARTMENTAL SERVICE
- Student Representative for the Women’s Studies Advisory Committee (2012-2016)
- Program Representative for Social-Personality Psychology, Doctoral Student Council (DSC) (2011-2013)
- Co-Chair, Pedagogy Committee (2011)
- Founder & Organizer, Embodiment Workgroup (2011-2012)
- Member, Psychology Student Leadership Council Executive Board (2010-2012)
Committee & Coalition Memberships:
- Liaison between the Doctoral Student Council (DSC) and the GC Child Care Center (2012-2013)
- Member, Website Committee (2009-2011)
- Member, Executive Committee (2012-2013)
- Member, Analyzing Sexuality for Action and Policy (ASAP) (2010-2011)
- Member, Admissions Committee (2010-2011)
- Member, Brown Bag Committee (2009-2010)
- Member, Campus Coalition for Sexual Literacy (2009-2010)
- Member, Pedagogy Committee (2010)
- American Psychological Association (APA), Student Affiliate
Division 5 – Evaluation, Measurement, Statistics
Division 35 – Psychology of Women
Division 44 – LGBT Issues
Division 51 – Men and Masculinity
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI)
- Association for Women in Psychology (AWP)
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS)
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP)
- National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA)